Showing all 2 results
Provigil is a doctor’s approved medication used to treat sleepiness due to narcolepsy and other sleep disorders such as periods of stopped breathing during sleep (obstructive sleep apnea) and it is also used to help you stay awake during work hours if you have a work schedule that keeps you from having a normal sleep routine (shift work sleep disorder).
More On Provigil And Its Use:
Provigil belongs to a class of medications called CNS (Central Nervous System) Stimulants. It is the brand name of Modafinil. It works by changing the amount of certain natural substances in the brain.
It works by affecting certain substances in the brain that control the sleep/wake cycle. It also works by altering the natural chemicals (neurotransmitters) in the brain. It is considered a first-choice medication option for decreasing sleepiness in people with these conditions.
It was developed in 1970 in France and was first prescribed by a doctor in 1994 in France. It was first prescribed and used in the U.S.A in 1996. As per the report, it was one of the most prescribed medicine in the U.S.A in the year 2019.
How To Take Provigil?
Provigil is taken exactly as prescribed by the doctor in the prescription. Any overdose or underdose or completely stopping it immediately can harm the health of a person.
Points To Remembered Before Taking Provigil:
- Read the medication guide before taking it.
- It is usually taken each morning to prevent daytime sleepiness, or 1 hour before the start of a work shift to treat work-time sleep disorders.
- Take the chewable tablet with water or other liquid. It helps to chew the tablet completely.
- Shake the oral liquid gently before using it and take the correctly measured dose by measuring spoon or medicine cup and take it 30-45 mins before food.
Measures Of Provigil:
Provigil is available both online and offline in the market in 2 different varieties. These are:
- Provigil 100 mg, a cylinder-shaped, white-coloured tablet, Provigil 100 mg written on it.
- Provigil 200 mg, a cylinder-shaped, white-coloured tablet, with Provigil 200 mg written on it.
Composition Of Provigil:
Each Provigil tablet, which is to be taken orally, contains 100/200 mg of Modafinil as the active ingredient and croscarmellose sodium, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, povidone and pregelatinized starch as inactive ingredients in it.
Dosage Of Taking Provigil:
The dosage of taking Provigil varies from person to person and from children to adults.
Dosage For Narcolepsy And Obstructive Sleep Apnea:
- Initially, 200 mg orally once a day as a single dose is given.
- The doctor may increase the dose according to the requirement and a maximum of 400 mg per day.
Dosage For Shift Work Disorder:
- Initially, 200 mg orally once a day as a single dose is given before the start of the work shift a day.
- The doctor may increase the dose according to the requirement.
Function Of Provigil In The Human Body:
Provigil belongs to a group of medications called Stimulants. It alters certain naturally-occurring chemicals in your brain by enhancing the effects of neurotransmitters like dopamine, norepinephrine, and, to a lesser degree, serotonin.
Storage of every medicine and medicinal product is an important aspect and is different for different medications. So we need to remember some points before storing any medicine.
Points to remember before storing Provigil are:
- Store it at a temperature between 20- 25 degrees Celsius i.e. 68- 77 degrees Fahrenheit i.e. at room temperature.
- Keep it away from light and moisture.
- Keep it away from children’s reach.
- Do not store it in the bathroom.
- Do not keep it inside the refrigerator.
Overdose And Missed Dose:
Overdose is a condition when a person takes an extra dose of medicine than the doctor prescribes for him/her. An overdose of any medication is dangerous to our health, so an overdose of Provigil also has some bad effects on our health.
Overdose of Provigil leads to fast/irregular heartbeat, severe restlessness, hallucinations, anxiety, irritability, aggressiveness, confusion, nervousness, tremor, palpitations, sleep disturbances, nausea, diarrhoea, and decreased prothrombin time.
Taking medicine at an improper time and irregularly leads to a missed dose. People after missing a dose usually take a double dose which leads to overdose. In case you miss a dose, do not panic. Take the dose immediately or continue with your regular dose or consult your doctor.
Side Effects Of Using Provigil:
Provigil is a CNS stimulant. As stimulants have side effects, Provigil also has. It has some major side effects and some common side effects.
Common Side Effects:
The common side effects are:
- Back pain
- Stomach problem
- Stuffy nose
Major Side Effects:
The major side effects are:
- Skin rash
- Mouth sores
- Trouble in swallowing
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling in legs, feet and ankle
- Swelling in face, tongue, lips and throat
- Suicidal thoughts
- Unusual behaviour
- Chest pain
- Breathing problems
- Irregular heartbeats
Alternatives For Provigil:
Finding the exact alternatives is not possible, but there are some similar medications which are prescribed instead of Provigil.
The natural alternatives are:
- Vitamin B-Complex
- Valerian extracts
The medicinal substitutes are:
- Adzenys XR-ODT
- Adzenys ER
- Dyanavel XR
Precautions While Taking Provigil:
Take some precautions before taking Provigil for treating ADHD. These are
- Test whether you are allergic to Provigil or any other Stimulants.
- Describe both your physician and mental history before the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you were drug abused in the past as Provigil is habit forming.
- Consult your doctor if you have diabetes as it can result in vision loss.
- Test whether you have any kidney disease, liver disease, glaucoma, lung/ breathing problems or mental disorder.
- As drowsiness is one of its side effects, one should not drive, should not operate any machine or do any serious work as it can be dangerous.
- Using Provigil while pregnant can harm your unborn baby.
- Breastfeeding mothers are advised to consult a doctor and follow the advice.
Other Food And Medicine Interactions:
One should make it clear to the doctor if he/she is taking any other medicines before the doctor prescribes Provigil as it can be dangerous if some specific medicines are taken with it.
Medicines which should not be taken with Provigil are:
- Antiviral medications
- Antifungal medications
- Antibiotic medication
- Heart medications
- Methylene blue
Food And Beverage Interaction:
Food items and beverages which should not be taken with Provigil are:
- Grapefruit Juice
- Beverages with caffeine — tea, coffee and sodas — should be used in moderation. The same is true for chocolate. Provigil reacts with caffeine and shows some adverse effects.
- The stimulant effects of Provigil can counter the sedating effects of alcohol, which may prompt a person to drink more due to noticing alcohol’s effects less.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Provigil safe for children?
No, the use of Provigil for children is not still approved as it has dangerous side effects. So doctors do not prescribe Provigil for children.
Can I take Provigil during work time?
Provigil is used to treat two diseases. If you want to reduce daytime sleepiness, then take it in the morning and if you want to take it for shift work sleep disorder, take it one hour before your shift starts.