Showing all 3 results
Dilaudid is an Opioid Analgesic variant used to get rid of moderate to severe body pain. It is also used to get relief from chronic pain. It acts in the brain to change how a body feels and responds to pain. It is an example of the long-term use of Opioids and works extensively to irradicate pain out of the body.
Dilaudid belongs to a class of drugs called Narcotic Analgesics. It is the brand name of Hydromorphone. It is an extended-release analgesic used to get relief from severe ongoing pain. Its effect starts within half an hour of intake and lasts up to 5 hours.
It was first patented in 1923 and was sold in the market under the brand name Dilaudid in 1926. Its generic version was soon discovered. It is on the World Health Organisation,s list of essential medicines. It is one of the most prescribed medicine in the year 2017.
Composition Of Dilaudid:
Dilaudid comprises both active and inactive ingredients. Each Dilaudid tablet contains 2 mg/ 4 mg/ 8 mg of Hydromorphone Hydrochloride as the active ingredient and lactose anhydrous and magnesium stearate as inactive ingredients in it.
How To Buy Dilaudid Online Safely?
As Dilaudid is used for non-medical use i.e. for fun in many countries, it is not available offline or in pharmaceutical stores but it is available on various online websites. These online websites sell Dilaudid and its varieties with or without any prescription. But buying it without a prescription is always risky as it has some adverse side effects and is used for fun purposes.
Methods Of Taking Dilaudid Correctly:
Dilaudid is taken exactly as prescribed by the doctor in the prescription. Any overdose or underdose or completely stopping it immediately can harm the health of a person.
Before taking Dilaudid, the following methods should be obeyed:
- Take this medicine with or without food.
- The liquid form is usually taken every 3-6 hours and the tablet form is usually taken every 4-6 hours.
- Take it only through the mouth i.e. it should not be injected as it can cause serious side effects.
- Swallow the whole tablet. Do not chew, break or crush.
- Do not lick or wet the tablet before consuming it.
- Swallow the whole tablet with water.
Storage Of Dilaudid:
Storage of every medicine and the medicinal product is an important aspect and is different for different medications. So we need to remember some points before storing any medicine.
Points to remember before storing Dilaudid are:
- Store it at a temperature between 20- 25 degrees Celcius i.e. 68- 77 degrees Fahrenheit i.e. at room temperature.
- Keep it away from light and moisture.
- Keep it in a place where children cannot reach it.
- Do not store it in the bathroom.
- Do not keep it inside the refrigerator.
Reaction Of The Body To Dilaudid:
Dilaudid is a product of Opioid analgesics. When Dilaudid travels to the brain through the bloodstream, the chemicals attach to the brain cells. The linkage of these chemicals with the receptors produces the same biochemical processes that give people the feeling of pleasure in their day-to-day life activities.
Dosage Of Taking Dilaudid:
The dosage of taking Dilaudid varies in children, adults, and older adults. The dosage depends upon the type and severity of the condition you’re using methadone to treat, your age, the form of methadone you take, and other medical conditions you may have.
By Using Dilaudid Oral Solution:
Initially, 10 ml of the syrup is given which may be altered by the doctor according to its use. It is usually taken 2.5 mg to 10 mg taken every 3-4 hours. The maximum dose is 60-70 mg per day.
By Using Dilaudid Tablets:
Initially, 2 to 4 mg is given which may be altered by the doctor according to its use. It is usually taken 2.5 mg to 4 mg taken every 4-6 hours. The maximum dose is 20-25 mg per day.
Dosage Alterations (Overdose And Missed Dose) And Their Symptoms:
Overdose is a condition when a person takes an extra dose of medicine than the doctor prescribes for him/her. An overdose of any medication is dangerous to our health, so an overdose of Dilaudid also has some bad effects on our health.
Overdose of Dilaudid leads to shallow breathing, slow heartbeat, severe drowsiness, pinpoint pupils, slow or no breathing, skeletal muscle flaccidity, cold and clammy skin, bradycardia, hypotension, apnea, circulatory collapse, cardiac arrest, coma, and death may occur.
Taking medicine at an improper time and irregularly leads to a missed dose. People after missing a dose usually take a double dose which leads to an overdose. In case you miss a dose, do not panic. Take the dose immediately or continue with your regular dose or consult your doctor.
Some people taking analgesics think that they have had enough analgesics and they do not require any more and some think that as analgesics are addictive, they stop taking them suddenly without the advice of the doctor.
Symptoms that are shown when any medicine is stopped suddenly or accidentally are called withdrawal symptoms. All analgesics have their withdrawal symptoms, hence Dilaudid. The symptoms are nausea, restlessness, irritability, anxiety, fever, sweating, cravings for the drug, vomiting, diarrhea, chills, muscle spasms, aches, depression, confusion, suicidal ideation, cognitive issue, and appetite loss.
Adverse Effects ( Common And Serious):
Any medicine when used improperly way shows dangerous adverse effects hence Dilaudid shows. It shows both common and serious adverse effects.
Common Side Effects:
The common side effects are:
- Abdominal pain
Serious Side Effects:
The serious side effects are:
- Trouble breathing
- Shortness of breath
- Fast heartbeat
- Chest pain
- Swelling of throat, tongue, and face
- Extreme drowsiness
- Feeling faint
- High body temperature
- Trouble walking
- Stiff muscles
- Mental changes
Alternatives For Dilaudid (Natural And Medicinal):
Finding the exact alternative is not possible, but there are some similar medications that are prescribed instead of Methadone.
- Heat and ice
Warning And Precautions:
Take some precautions before using Dilaudid to get rid of the pain. These are:
- Test whether you are allergic to Dilaudid or any other Opioids.
- Describe both your physical and mental history before the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you were drug abused in the past as Dilaudid is habit forming.
- Dilaudid is not prescribed for those who have kidney disease, liver disease, glaucoma, lung/ breathing problems, or mental disorder.
- As drowsiness is one of its side effects, one should not drive, should not operate any machine, or do any serious work as it can be dangerous.
- Using Dilaudid while pregnant can cause birth defects or life-threatening symptoms in the newborn.
- Breastfeeding mothers are advised to first consult a doctor and follow the advice.
Interaction With Other Medicines And Food Items:
Before taking medicine, every patient asks a doctor about some other medicines and food items that should not be taken with the prescribed medicine.
One should make it clear to the doctor if he/she is taking any other medicines before the doctor prescribes Dilaudid as it can be dangerous if some specific medicines and food items are taken with it.
Do not take these medicines with Dilaudid:
- Belladonna Alkaloids
Food Items And Beverage Interactions:
Food items and beverages that should not be taken with Dilaudid are:
- Grapefruit juice
- Dilaudid has a side effect of drowsiness and alcohol also causes drowsiness. So drinking alcohol with Dilaudid can cause severe drowsiness and un -wakeable sleep.
- The effectiveness of Dilaudid is reduced by the use of cigarettes.
- Grapefruit and grapefruit juice increase the blood levels and effect of Dilaudid.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is Dilaudid habit forming?
Yes, long-term use of Dilaudid is habit-forming because Dilaudid is a product of Opioid Analgesics and opioids are generally habit-forming in nature.
Can one take cough syrup with Dilaudid?
Yes, one can surely take cough syrup with Dilaudid. There is no such harmful reaction product between cough syrup and Dilaudid. So there is no problem taking them simultaneously.
Can one take Dilaudid more than prescribed by the doctor for heavy pain?
No, taking Dilaudid more than the prescribed dose without referring to your doctor can cause several side effects which can be dangerous.