Showing all 3 results
Xanax belongs to the class of drugs called Benzodiazepines. Its generic name is Alprazolam. Alprazolam is sold under the brand name Xanax and Xanax XR. It works by enhancing the effects of a certain natural chemical in the body. It is the most prescribed medicine by doctors in the United States.
Xanax is a medication used to treat anxiety disorder, anxiety caused due to depression, panic disorder, and agoraphobia. It enhances the activity of certain neurotransmitters in the brain. It is the most prescribed medicine by doctors in the United States.
Each Xanax tablet contains 0.25/0.5/1/2 mg of Alprazolam as active ingredients and Cellulose, corn starch, docusate sodium, lactose, magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide, and sodium benzoate as inactive ingredients in it.
How To Take Xanax?
Take Xanax exactly as prescribed by your doctor in the prescription. Never try to overdose or underdose or stop immediately as it can have some adverse effects on you. One should not share or misuse Xanax with people who have drug addiction problems.
The following points should be remembered while taking Xanax:
- Swallow the extended-release tablet or tablet whole with a full glass of water. Do not break, crush, or chew it.
- For an orally disintegrating tablet, make sure that your hands are dry before you handle the tablet.
- Do not remove the tablets from the bottle until you are ready to take them.
- Place the tablet immediately on the top of your tongue. It should melt quickly and be swallowed with saliva.
- For oral liquid, measure the dose with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
Function Of Xanax In the Human Body:
Xanax works by decreasing abnormal excitement in the brain. It works on the brain and CNS ( Central Nervous System ) and produces a calming effect. It slows down the movement of unbalanced brain chemicals resulting in the reduction of anxiety. It works by boosting the effects of a natural chemical called gamma-aminobutyric acid, which is made in the brain.
Varieties Of Xanax:
Xanax is available both online and offline of different types. These are:
- 0.25 mg sold as Xanax 0.25 mg
- 0.5 mg sold as Xanax 0.5 mg,
- 1 mg sold as Xanax 1 mg
- 2 mg sold as Xanax 2 mg
- 3 mg sold as Xanax XR 3 mg
- Xanax Blue sold as Blue Xanax Bar
- Xanax Red sold as Red Xanax Bar
- Xanax Green sold as Green Xanax Bar
- Xanax White sold as White Xanax Bar
- Xanax Yellow sold as Yellow Xanax Bar
Dosages Of Xanax:
The dosage of taking Xanax differs in adults to children. The dosages are:
Adult Dose For Anxiety:
- Initially, 0.25 mg to 0.5 mg per dose is taken 2-3 times a day.
- The doctor can alter the dose according to the use.
- The maximum dosage is 4 mg per day and should not exceed that.
Adult Dose For Panic Disorder:
- Initially, 0.5 mg per dose is taken 2-3 times a day.
- The doctor can change the dose accordingly.
- The maximum dosage is 10 mg per day and should not exceed that.
Dosage For Children:
The dosage and use of Xanax in children are prescribed and recommended by the doctor.
Overdose And Missed Dose:
Overdose is a condition when a person takes an extra dose of medicine than the doctor prescribes for him/her. An overdose of any medication is dangerous to our health, so an overdose of Xanax also has some bad effects on our health.
Overdose of Xanax leads to changes in appetite, constipation, difficulty concentrating, difficulty passing urine, drowsiness, dry mouth, headache, increased salivation, irritability, joint pain, light-headedness, nausea, changes in sex drive, tiredness, and unusual talkativeness.
Taking medicine at an improper time and irregularly leads to a missed dose. People after missing a dose usually take a double dose which leads to overdose. In case you miss a dose, do not panic. Take the dose immediately or continue with your regular dose or consult your doctor.
Withdrawal Symptoms Of Xanax:
Symptoms that are shown when any medicine is stopped suddenly or accidentally are called withdrawal symptoms. All anti-anxiety pills have their withdrawal symptoms, hence Xanax. The symptoms are severe changes in mood and behavior, confusion, hallucinations, seizures, suicidal thoughts or actions, muscle spasticity, sleep disturbances, and other adverse behavioral effects such as agitation, rage, irritability, and aggressiveness.
Side Effects Of Xanax:
Any medicine when used improperly way shows dangerous adverse effects hence Xanax shows. It offers both common and serious side effects.
Common Side Effects:
The common side effects are:
- Slurred speech
- Lack of balance
- Memory problems
- Feeling anxious
Serious Side Effects:
The serious side effects are:
- Shallow breathing
- Risk-taking behavior
- Increased energy
- Double vision
- Racing thoughts
- Depressed mood
Alternatives For Xanax:
Finding the exact alternatives is not possible, but there are some similar medications that are prescribed instead of Xanax.
The natural alternatives are:
- Kava Kava
The medicinal substitutes are:
Other Medicine And Food Interaction:
One should make it clear to the doctor if he/she is taking any other medicines before the doctor prescribes Xanax as it can be dangerous if some specific medicines are taken with it.
Do not take these medicines with Xanax:
Other Food And Beverages Interaction:
Do not take these food items and beverages with Xanax:
- Grapefruit Juice
- Alcohol leads to drowsiness. So taking alcohol along with Xanax can cause severe drowsiness, dizziness, tiredness, and body imbalance.
- Cigarette smoking with Xanax may decrease the effectiveness of the drug.
Precautions While Taking Xanax:
There are certain precautions which are needed to be taken while using Xanax.
- Test whether you are allergic to Xanax or any other anti-anxiety pills.
- Describe both your physical and mental history before the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you were drug abused in the past as Xanax is abusive.
- As drowsiness is one of its side effects, one should not drive, should not operate any machine, or do any serious work as it can be dangerous.
- People having depression, mood problems, or suicidal thoughts and behavior are advised to consult a doctor before taking Xanax.
- People having liver or kidney problems are not supposed to use Xanax.
- People having lung disease and breathing problems are not prescribed Xanax as it can be fatal.
- Keeping Xanax out of reach of children is safe as it is very much dangerous for them.
- Using Xanax while pregnant can harm your unborn baby.
- Breastfeeding mothers are advised to first consult a doctor and follow the advice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Xanax is prescribed ahead of other Anti-Anxiety pills?
Xanax is the fastest anxiety-relieving pill in the history of medical science. So it is prescribed ahead of other anti-anxiety pills.
Is Xanax abusive in nature?
Yes, Xanax is abusive in nature. It is abused in a higher amount in many countries. So it is not sold in many countries.