Showing all 4 results
Codeine is a medication that belongs to a class of drugs called Antitussives and Narcotic Analgesics. This class of medicines is used to treat pain and cough. It is many a time used against diarrhea. But people buy Codeine online widely to cure pain.
Brief Description Of Codeine:
Codeine is used to treat mild to moderate pain generated as any symptom of other diseases or due to surgery or accidents. It works in the brain to change how the body feels and responds to pain.
Composition Of Codeine:
Codeine comprises both active and inactive ingredients. Each Codeine tablet contains 15 mg/30 mg/60 mg of Codeine Phosphate as the active ingredient and colloidal silicon dioxide, microcrystalline cellulose, pregelatinized starch, and stearic acid as inactive ingredients.
How To Buy Codeine Online?
As we all know Codeine is an Opioid and opioids are habit-forming. So Codeine is not sold without any prescription in the market in many countries, though it is available on various online pharmacy websites. These online websites sell Codeine and its varieties with or without any prescription. But buying it without a prescription is always risky as these sites can cost you extra charges for not providing a prescription.
Methods Of Taking Codeine Safely:
Codeine is taken exactly as prescribed by the doctor in the prescription. Any overdose or underdose or completely stopping it immediately can harm the health of a person.
Before taking Codeine, the following methods should be obeyed:
- Shallow each standard tablet or capsule whole with a glass of water. Do not chew, break or crush.
- If it is liquid, mix the drops into a glass of water then drink the whole contents of the glass.
- If it is a soluble tablet, dissolve each tablet in a glass of water.
- For slow-release tablets, swallow the whole tablet or capsule with a glass of water.
Storage Of Codeine:
Storage of every medicine and the medicinal product is an important aspect and is different for different medications. So we need to remember some points before storing any medicine.
Points to remember before storing Codeine are:
- Store it at a temperature between 20- 25 degrees Celcius i.e. 68- 77 degrees Fahrenheit i.e. at room temperature.
- Keep it away from light and moisture.
- Keep it in a place where children cannot reach it.
- Do not store it in the bathroom.
- Do not keep it inside the refrigerator.
How Does Codeine Affect The Brain?
Codeine is a product of Opioid analgesics. When Codeine travels to the brain through the bloodstream, the chemicals attach to the brain cells. The linkage of these chemicals with the receptors produces the same biochemical processes that give people the feeling of pleasure in their day-to-day life activities.
Dosages Of Taking Codeine:
The dosage of taking Codeine varies in children and adults. This dosage depends upon the type and severity of the condition you’re using Codeine to treat, your age, the form of Codeine you take, and other medical conditions you may have.
Usual Adult Dose:
Initially, 15 to 60 mg is given. The dose should be altered by the physician and the maximum dose should not exceed 360 mg.
Usual Children Dose:
The dose and usage should be determined by the doctor for children 18 years of age and below 18 years old children have generally not been prescribed Codeine.
Overdose, Missed Dose, And Withdrawal (Symptoms):
Overdose of Codeine leads to severe muscle weakness, shallow breathing, slow heartbeat, cold and clammy skin, pinpoint pupils, very slow breathing, extreme drowsiness, or coma
Taking medicine at an improper time and irregularly leads to a missed dose. People after missing a dose usually take a double dose which leads to an overdose. In case you miss a dose, do not panic. Take the dose immediately or continue with your regular dose or consult your doctor.
Symptoms that are shown when any medicine is stopped suddenly or accidentally are called withdrawal symptoms. All analgesics have their withdrawal symptoms, hence Codeine. The symptoms are tiredness, anxiety, restlessness, sweating, watery eyes, runny nose, yawning, trouble sleeping, muscle aches and pain, goosebumps, severe nausea, vomiting, cramps, diarrhea, and depression.
Side Effects Of Codeine (Common And Serious):
Any medicine when used improperly way shows dangerous adverse effects hence Codeine shows. It shows both common and serious adverse effects.
Common Side Effects:
The common side effects are:
- Stomach pain
Serious Side Effects:
- Noisy breathing
- Shallow breathing
- Breathing that stops during sleep
- Slow heart rate
- Weak pulse
- Feeling extreme happiness and sadness
- Problem with urination
- Loss of appetite
Substitute For Codeine:
Finding the exact substitute is not possible, but there are some similar medications that are prescribed instead of Codeine.
- Heat and ice
- Oral Morphine
Precautions And Warnings:
Some precautions are needed to be taken by patients suffering from severe pain before taking Codeine. These are:
- Before taking Codeine, check all of the ingredients available in the medicine, and ensure that all are safe for you.
- Describe both your physical and mental history before the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you were using any particular medicine for a long time.
- Codeine is not prescribed for those who have kidney disease, liver disease, glaucoma, lung/ breathing problems, or mental disorder.
- As drowsiness is one of its side effects, one should not drive, should not operate any machine, or do any serious work as it can be dangerous.
- Using Codeine while pregnant can cause birth defects or life-threatening symptoms in the newborn.
- Breastfeeding mothers are advised to first consult a doctor and follow the advice.
Interaction With Other Medicines And Food Items:
The medicine which interacts with Codeine are:
- Other cough syrups
- Other Opioids
- Muscle relaxants
- Anti-Allergy pills
Food And Beverage Interactions:
Food items and beverages that should not be taken with Codeine are:
- Grapefruit juice
- Alcohol leads to drowsiness. So taking alcohol along with Codeine can cause severe drowsiness, dizziness, tiredness, and body imbalance.
- Cigarette smoking with Codeine may decrease the effectiveness of the drug.
- Grapefruit and grapefruit juice increase the blood levels and effect of Codeine.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is Codeine used to cure cough?
Yes, Codeine is used to get relief from cough as it belongs to the class of medicine called Antittusives.
Is Codeine addictive?
Yes, Codeine is addictive in nature as it is an opioid in nature and all opioids are addictive in nature.